Deportation is a legal process that is now also known as removal. Deportation or removal is the process that authorities use to remove a person from the United States. Individuals who commit crimes or overstay a visa are examples of persons who could face deportation. There are two ways individuals can face deportation—either through immediate removal due to illegal entry such as using forged documents at the border or through deportation in court proceedings. Some individuals may be held in detention centers before their court hearing date. If you are facing deportation, it is important to understand that you have rights and the right to due process. J.Joseph Cohen is a deportation lawyer in San Antonio, Texas. The first step in the deportation process is usually arrest or apprehension by authorities. Below you’ll find some information about what rights you have and what you can do at each stage of the deportation process.

What to Do If Immigration Agents Knock on Your Door

ACLU offers guidance for what you should do if immigration officers knock on your door. If immigration officers knock on your door, you do not have to open the door. You can ask them why they are at your home. The ACLU urges individuals to ask that officers slip the warrant under the door. You have the right to tell immigration officers that you do not consent to their entering your home. However, if they have a valid warrant, they do have the right to enter. If immigration officers enter despite your non-consent, you have the right to remain silent and ask for a lawyer. Contact a qualified deportation lawyer like J. Joseph Cohen in San Antonio, Texas as soon as you can. Do not sign any documents and do not speak to authorities until you have a chance to speak to your attorney. If someone in your family may be subject to removal, I urge you to put a plan in place now in the event that should happen.

What to do If You’ve Been Issued a Notice to Appear

If you’ve been issued a Notice to Appear (NTA), you must appear in court. This is your court date and your chance to ask the court to stop your removal. Failure to appear for this date or any other can result in an order being issued for your removal.

You have the right to fight your deportation and appeal any wrong decision. Individuals can take their appeals all the way to the Supreme Court, in some cases. it helps to have a qualified lawyer on your side, helping you navigate deportation court and proceedings. J. Joseph Cohen in San Antonio, Texas is a deportation lawyer who can review your case, help you understand your rights, and fight for you in court.

Locating a Loved One in Detention

There are many reasons why a person might be sent to an immigration detention center. The person may have been apprehended at the border for crossing illegally, or they may have sought asylum and are awaiting a hearing. Or, a person may have been arrested by ICE at work, while driving, or was referred to ICE by local police. In any case, learning that a loved one has been detained by ICE can be incredibly stressful and frightening. Family members may have difficulty getting information about where their loved one is being detained. If your loved one is being detained and you are having difficulty locating them, consider speaking to J. Joseph Cohen, a San Antonio, Texas deportation lawyer who can help you locate your loved one and assist them as they navigate the court system.

Recently, there has been much in the news about the detention of children. If you know a child who may be in the system, the process of locating a child and releasing a child to a relative can be very complicated. If the child’s parents have been deported, relatives in the U.S. may be able to help. This process can be very involved, and having a deportation and immigration lawyer on your side can be helpful.

J. Joseph Cohen is a deportation lawyer who will work closely with families and individuals facing deportation to give them the best chance of fighting their deportation orders. I can review your case, determine what options are available to you, and fight for your rights. Contact me today to learn more.